Monday, August 30, 2010

Door County or Bust!!



Nanee (my mom) and I take the kids on a back-to-school trip every year.  We've been to Chicago, Tennessee, and this year, to Door County.  Maguire and Nanee choose the destination.  I'm in charge of travel arrangements.  The boys are in charge of providing humor and, on occasion, frustration of travel plans.  This year's trip to Door County did not disappoint. 

We started off by visiting Uncle Tim's Packer House.  I'm a Packer fan, and I live in Minnesota.  My kids teeter between liking the Packers and the Vikings.  I'm doing my best here to show them that Green Bay is where it's at.  

I had to explain what whiskey was, but I figured the trip to the Packer house was still worth it.  They're starting to lean green and gold.

"When it's third and ten, you can take your milk drinkers, and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."

Upon arriving in Door County, we hit the sites - including Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant - with the grass roof and goats grazing on the grass roof.  As Gan carefully explained to Ryan on the phone, "They're weel goats and weel grass.  Weel ones."  

We got all nature-like in the Peninsula State Park.  We hiked...and took the path less traveled by. 



We went to the beach inside the park, and the big kids built sand pools that Roj proceeded to destroy.  Nanee and I tried to run interference, but Roj is crafty and used bait-and-switch type tactics with us.  We were out-manned.



We also took "a little bike trip."  One day, we, or rather I, thought it prudent to rent bikes and try to bike to the beach inside the park.  I thought nothing of it, because they said it was only a 5 mile ride in.  We got Nanee and Maguire suited up on a tandem bike, and I pulled the boys in a Burley attached to my bike.  We made it three miles in, ALL UPHILL, before Maguire said she couldn't do it any more.  She was too tired, and her legs were wobbly.  When I tried to offer encouragement, she said, "Mom! It's easier for you to bike this trail because you're not pushing Nanee!"  I nearly wet myself laughing, in part because I had heard Nanee, for a least a mile, telling Maguire she didn't need to actually pedal.  Hilarious.  With my girl, it's all about framing the problem.  

We also saw the bats, oh yes, the bats.  I hate bats almost as much as I hate the squirrels that chew through my plastic trash can.  But my sister said we had to see them fly out of their little home at dusk.  She promised cool.  So, we went to see the bats.  Nanee was not thrilled about the plan, but she was a trooper.  She is not one to miss an adventure.  



  
It's hard to top all of these adventures, but I think I can pinpoint the highlight for Nanee.  It was one morning, as we started our usual routine of playing a game while Rojo took his morning nap.  Gannon looked at me and said, "Mom.  Can you scratch my butt?  It's itchy."  Before I could answer, he looked at Nanee and said, "Nanee.  Actually can YOU scratch my butt with your long finger nails?"  With a smile and a nod, she proceeded to scratch.



Memories.  It was an awesome trip.  Love you Nanee.  Thanks for another great back-to-school adventure.

Love,

Momma T. and the Mighty Murphys

2 comments:

  1. OH I love your pictures!!!! What a great trip!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love reading about your family adventures. What a great family!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a 36-year-old mother of three (one girl and two boys), lover of fashion, chocolate, and red wine, ex-lawyer about to become a lawyer again to fund the fashion, chocolate and red wine habit. I revere the sisterhood of moms.