Tuesday, September 7, 2010

'Twas the Night Before Back to School


Last night, Daddy and the boys made a back-to-school dinner fit for a queen - pancakes and eggs and watermelon.


Because today is a big day -  Maguire starts second grade.  The boys and Magoo celebrated this morning with breakfast cereal.


And we took our annual back-to-school picture.


To give you a clue as to how far we've come, here's the annual back-to-school picture from first grade...


And from kindergarten...




The start of second grade, I have learned, is way different than the start of kindergarten and the start of first grade.  At drop off for second grade, there was little to no nervousness, just lots of greeting old friends and their parents.  They qualify as old friends when you've known them over a quarter of your life.  There's confidence - including asking the student teacher where the lunch bag bin was, which only caused the student teacher to slightly freak out because she didn't know the answer - and there are a lot of smiles.  There were no sad goodbyes for me, just a quick kiss followed by, "I'll miss you a lot," which, incidentally, made me want to grab her and make a break for it. 

She had a great day, as I suspected she would.  She decided to have hot lunch instead of the cold lunch we'd packed.  She said it was great to see her Spanish teacher, who was very impressed that Maguire could remember so much of her Spanish from last year.  She got a little bored with just talking about what they were going to do this year instead of actually doing it.  She even said it's nice to be in the "bigger kid" hallway (the second grade rooms are in the hallway with the third and fourth grades) instead of with the "little kids" (the kinders and first graders).  

A lot's changed in two years.  I wonder if I'll ever get over how amazed I feel every time I see them grow up just a little.  Doubt it.  I'm easy to amaze, and, I just gotta say, my girl's pretty awesome.  

Love,

Momma T.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a 36-year-old mother of three (one girl and two boys), lover of fashion, chocolate, and red wine, ex-lawyer about to become a lawyer again to fund the fashion, chocolate and red wine habit. I revere the sisterhood of moms.