Thursday, January 7, 2010

So, if you and Dad die...


After I read the last page of Where the Wild Things Are last night, Maguire said, "Mom. If you and Dad die, what will happen to us?" (This week is the anniversary of my dad's death so we've had a few "death" discussions. It's on her mind.) Before I could answer, she said, "I know we'd live with Aunt Cia (pronounced "sha" - nickname for my sister whose name is Tricia) and Uncle Jesse. But, I mean, what will happen - how will I call them? How will I feed Rojo a bubba? How will I change Roj's diaper? How will Cia and Jesse know that they're supposed to come and get us? I think we'll all fit in their car, but how will they know to come here to get us?"

At first, I was taken aback - how could she so matter-of-factly discuss Ryan's and my demise? Where is the angst and the terror? Where is the begging - please don't ever die!?!?

Then, I realized it wasn't about ME at that moment. And I remembered that it was about HER, and SHE is highly, highly analytical. She is also a planner. I answered the questions as best as I could, but ultimately I told her that she'd have to have faith in the grown-ups around her and herself. She's highly, highly resourceful.

She's not much on faith, so I told her that she'd find Cia's number in my cell phone - under "Tricia DeFosse." That seemed to put her at ease. She apparently didn't need to hear me say, "But you know, Love, that Dad and I aren't going anywhere anytime soon." Because after I said it, she smiled her kid smile and said, "Well, but you could." I started to wonder if she was plotting something. Hmmm......

Gan, bless him, took an entirely different approach. He is not as much of a planner. He's more of a seat-of-the-pants kind of guy. He is also desperately in love with Ryan and me. He listened to the whole conversation and, at the end, said, "Mom. If you and Dad are going somewhere when you die, I'm coming too." He also told me that he wishes he was a real superhero.

Momma T.

1 comment:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a 36-year-old mother of three (one girl and two boys), lover of fashion, chocolate, and red wine, ex-lawyer about to become a lawyer again to fund the fashion, chocolate and red wine habit. I revere the sisterhood of moms.