Sunday, January 24, 2010

Uncle Mark

I have a brother-in-law who loves my kids.  He doesn't love them because he's supposed to love them, they're cute, or he thinks it'll get him chicks. He loves them for who they are.  It's a blessing that I never imagined.

Mark was born in Pusan, South Korea, and is now living in Seoul getting a graduate degree.  My in-laws adopted Mark when he was four.  As a child, they say he really adored Ryan, who was about 9 years older.  It seems that things have come full circle because Ryan's children adore Mark.  All of them.  No doubt about it.  Given a choice between Ryan and me and Uncle Mark, it'd be a close call.  And I'm not even sure about which way they'd come out.

Maguire has always loved him - right from the start, he's been her favorite person.  He's always been patient and kind, and he watches her play American Girl Dolls.  (He has his standards - he doesn't actually play AG, but he will watch.)



Poj loves Mark too.  He's been known to nap on him in the beanbag, a true sign of devotion.




Magoo and Poj are the mild-mannered ones though.  Let's face it - those two are outgoing and smile at and talk to strangers on the street.  They are people persons.

The real sign of Mark's talent is the fact that Gan adores him.  When he was first born, Gan only liked  Ryan, me, and Gramps.  But he tolerated Mark.  Gan's toleration of Mark grew to adoration.  Gan's subtle, but he leaves clues.  When Mark plays wrestling with Gan, Gan builds a soft ring made of pillows and beanbags to show his love.  When he kicks other people's butts, he makes them feel it on the hard floor.  





So, Mark, I know that you're one of my three readers, and I want you to know that I adore you.  We miss you.  You know there's always room for you in our basement.

Annyonghi kasayo, my brother.

Love,
Momma T.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the heartfelt comments T :)

    There is definitely a void in my heart when I am away from your family. Your children are warm, full of life, and quite comical. I'm blessed to be their uncle. You're right, I love them because I appreciate their bright personalities. You and Ryan are committed and continue to teach them, spend quality time with them, and provide for them in a lovely manner. You are my sister and I love you too!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a 36-year-old mother of three (one girl and two boys), lover of fashion, chocolate, and red wine, ex-lawyer about to become a lawyer again to fund the fashion, chocolate and red wine habit. I revere the sisterhood of moms.